The internet's #1 source for Backyard Wrestling around the world.

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

How did you come up with your gimmick?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Brett Hadley

PostSubject: How did you come up with your gimmick?   Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:46 pm

I know a lot of yarders that have great gimmicks, and then I know a lot of yarders that don't have great gimmicks or any gimmick at all. But what I was curious to know, is how did you come up with yours?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://HRWFWrestling.com/
Murph

PostSubject: Re: How did you come up with your gimmick?   Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:49 pm

This was a topic on the Epicenter on Facebook, but I was able to find it and my original post on the topic, so here it is again:

I've personally had so many gimmicks. My initial one was a face who was so good at insulting, psychoanalyzing, and bringing it to heels that I affected and shaped their destinies. Essentially, I entered a feud with someone and in the end it changed their gimmick. This was mostly inspired by Ruthless Aggression Era Rock and Jericho.

Then with Pride of the Northeast and the GBYWN World Title I became an arrogant, angry heel who felt slighted by the community at large so I'd use my combined intelligence and viciousness to win matches and punish opponents. This was once again a Jericho influence, circa his 2009 heel run.

After losing the title, I became a heel blinded by the obsession to win to stay relevant now that I didn't have a belt to back it up, which meant doing anything no matter how illegal or vicious. That obsession led to title shot lust and losing my last friend in BRB. No immediate influence comes to mind, just thought it was a natural progression for me.

In IWC, I used to be an arrogant heel who felt the entire fed was below him and he could do or say anything he pleased because of his name recognition as a current, then former world champ and because he was friends with the kayefabe booker. Hollywood gimmick Rock, recent heel Jericho influenced this.

Before I recently decided to stop, my final gimmick was that of an apologetic face manager for PJ Matthews who snapped out of his obsession, realized how horrible he's changed since winning the title, and was trying his best to reform himself by supporting his best friend. No influence on this one, was just the next progression in my mind like my second heel gimmick.

Long comment is long. TL:DR I like taking stuff Rock and Jericho did and twisting them to make them my own.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PWW

PostSubject: Re: How did you come up with your gimmick?   Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:19 pm

I don't have a gimmick. I'm an asshole that people like for some reason, both in and out of the ring. That's it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
brockobama
Admin

PostSubject: Re: How did you come up with your gimmick?   Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:42 pm

Well, as far as my name goes, someone at school was like 'dude, we should call you Brock Obama' in a completely unrelated to wrestling sense, because it was 2008 and we were dumb kids.

My 'gimmick' itself isn't anything I've ever sat down and thought about, but it's changed a bit. Way back when I was a face, I was just a slightly egotistical but fun-loving dude. Nothing major. When I turned heel, it was because I felt like the hardcore aspect of yarding was tearing apart not only my fed, but all of the BYW community, and moreover that I was being slighted as my fed's 'world' champ due to my being booked beneath hardcore matches.

Since that storyline ended, I've just been an angry heel. I'm constantly pissed off for various reasons, and I just ridicule everything and everyone, because fuck you, that's why.

Last edited by brockobama on Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tim Crockett

PostSubject: Re: How did you come up with your gimmick?   Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:51 pm

i did an impression of a 1920's radio broadcaster in front of TJ Blade. That's about it
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Chad

PostSubject: Re: How did you come up with your gimmick?   Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:04 am

I watched Charlie's Angels once and went, "I'm lazy enough to use that"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
brockobama
Admin

PostSubject: Re: How did you come up with your gimmick?   Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:56 am

The Chad wrote:
I watched Charlie's Angels once and went, "I'm lazy enough to use that"

Strange, I just watched Charlie's Angels and jacked off.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Damage

PostSubject: Re: How did you come up with your gimmick?   Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:46 pm

My what?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
focalin

PostSubject: Re: How did you come up with your gimmick?   Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:46 am

"My gimmick is just my personality with the volume turned all the way up!"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
martel

PostSubject: Re: How did you come up with your gimmick?   Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:51 am

no gimmicks remain here. Mark died years ago, only Martel remains.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
vcwmercury

PostSubject: Re: How did you come up with your gimmick?   Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:19 am

'mercury' comes from an e-fed an i was in the 90s and my original gimmick was i was everybodies best friend because in real life i most certainly was the furthest thing from such
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Shawn Jovi
Admin

PostSubject: Re: How did you come up with your gimmick?   Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:25 am

Shawn + Being a Bon Jovi fan = Shawn Jovi

It's a goofy and bad gimmick but it's fun. I need more Bon Jovi pun related catch phrases though. I only have two lol.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://wrestlingvshumanity.webs.com
r scharnhorst

PostSubject: Re: How did you come up with your gimmick?   Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:47 am

Not really a gimmick just my personality
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tiger Lawyer

PostSubject: Re: How did you come up with your gimmick?   Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:15 pm

I'm half tiger. I ran with that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.bluethundervideo.com/vcw
JD Static

PostSubject: Re: How did you come up with your gimmick?   Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:59 pm

People started chanting "Jed Loves Cock" at a show once. Thats basically it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tony Fontano

PostSubject: Re: How did you come up with your gimmick?   Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:53 pm

I saw Tony Ficaccio and Mixed him with Tony Montana thus I am Tony

sgnd sgnd sgnd
Back to top Go down
Joshua Wesker

PostSubject: Re: How did you come up with your gimmick?   Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:54 am

Hmm Joshua Wesker Joshua being my birth name. Wesker being the ultimate heel in the Resident Evil games Wesker being a egotistical self center manic that wanted total domination. Also myself being a hardcore horror fan I also fitted the horror monster attitude as in never think the killer is dead thing into my gimmick.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Chad

PostSubject: Re: How did you come up with your gimmick?   Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:07 am

As long as you hate the movies, we good.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Joshua Wesker

PostSubject: Re: How did you come up with your gimmick?   Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:17 am

The Chad wrote:
As long as you hate the movies, we good.

You kidding I could not survive ten minutes of Resident Evil Extinction. Of course I hate the films.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Chad

PostSubject: Re: How did you come up with your gimmick?   Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:22 am

<33333333333333333
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Dumbest Man Alive

PostSubject: Re: How did you come up with your gimmick?   Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:15 pm

I don't remember.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
brockobama
Admin

PostSubject: Re: How did you come up with your gimmick?   Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:20 pm

The Dumbest Man Alive wrote:
I don't remember.

Too many concussions. [insert joke about Steve here]

PostSubject: Re: How did you come up with your gimmick?   Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:21 am

Ultimate gimmick breakdown

The Chad
From Tom Green's character in the turn of the century classic, Charlie's Angels.

Japan 4
Random thing shouted from Tom Green in Freddy Got Fingered

Left 4 Dead
This one is obvious

Litsa (Pronounced Leetsa)
Chris Chaos and I tried naming our inward asai moonsault and went simplistic with Iasa which is Asia backwards of course but the pronounciation was close to former fiend of FIWA colleagues and my neighbor, Litsa. So yeah we thought it'd be funny to get her name to be the official name of a flip in professional wrestling.

Suckercrunch
Stole move from some Joshi that did it once. I was on a Suckerpunch kick and the crunch was perfect so yeah.

Pink and white gear
Stolen from Joshi, Cherry, no one else was rocking those colors so what the hell. Later felt various colors of same patern would be dope, i was correct.

uhhhhh so yeah

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How did you come up with your gimmick?   

Back to top Go down

How did you come up with your gimmick?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1